D'Andre Pickens, Steel Valley
Last week: Pickens ran for 214 yards on 23 carries (9.3 average) Friday night in a 47-13 win against Keystone Oaks, scoring a rushing touchdown in each quarter and adding a receiving touchdown as well. The win moved Steel Valley (1-0) into the fifth spot in the Post-Gazette WPIAL Class AA rankings.
Check this out: Pickens, a 5-foot-7, 180-pound running back, said he was clocked running a 4.5-second 40-meter dash this summer. He said he would run track if Steel Valley fielded the sport. Coach Rod Steele said Pickens has become a leader on the team as a senior, adding 20 pounds of muscle in the weight room this offseason and taking it upon himself to make sure his teammates come to practice and stay eligible.
• What went into your big day? We were moving good. Our wide receivers were blocking, our linemen were making holes. Our scheme, that's it.
• What's the best part of game day at school? Probably all the attention you get.
• What's the best thing in the school cafeteria? In the snack line, ice cream, but for meals probably the spaghetti.
• What's your favorite movie? Bad Boys II
• Have you committed anywhere for college? No, I haven't yet.
• What's your favorite drill in practice? Defensive drills -- one-on-ones with the wide receiver and the defensive back. I also play DB.
• Who's a professional player you like or look up to? In the NFL, LaDanian Tomlinson. Other sports, Kobe Bryant.
• What size shoes do you wear? 101/2.
• Who's the funniest guy on your team? Donald Crawford, wide receiver.
• If you could see anyone in concert, who would it be? Beyonce.
• Miley Cyrus should ... [Laughs] no comment.
Hayden Pascoe, Belle Vernon
Last week: Pascoe scored five goals to lead the Belle Vernon girls soccer team to a season-opening win Saturday against Waynesburg, and the next day helped the Leopards defeat South Fayette in the championship match of the South Fayette tournament. On Wednesday she helped Belle Vernon open play in Class AA Section 4 with a 4-0 shutout of rival Thomas Jefferson.
Check this out: Pascoe, a senior forward, is one of the top goal-scoring threats in the WPIAL. A year ago, Pascoe scored 27 goals in the regular season and led Belle Vernon to the WPIAL Class AA semifinals. She committed to Kent State at the beginning of her junior year.
• Most goals you've ever scored in a game? I scored nine goals in one game. It was in middle school. We played Ringgold.
• Best part about being a senior? I think it's very cool to lead my team. I think we're going to have a great year.
• Worst part about soccer practice? Definitely the running. Running in the game I'm OK with. Running just to run is no fun.
• Closest friend who plays for another school? One of my really close friends is (Peters Township's) Veronica Latsko.
• Why Kent State? I love the campus. I love the coaches. I have to play soccer where I love my coaches. I love the girls. I love everything about it.
• Favorite thing you did this summer? I went to the Bahamas with my family. It was a lot of fun.
• Thing that annoys you most about boys? (Laughs) I don't know. I have a lot of friends who are boys and I get along with them.
• What chores do your parents make you do? Clean my room. Clean the bathroom. Take the dishes out. Just normal teenage chores.
• Justin Timberlake is ... a rock star.