Last week: Means won the 200-and 400-meter dashes Saturday in the South Hills Classic at Baldwin High School. His 49.62 in the 400 set a meet record.
Check this out: About a month before beginning his junior year at Gateway, Means competed in the Junior Olympic Track and Field Championships in Baltimore. He competed in the 100- and 200-meter dashes and the 400-meter relay, finishing sixth in the 100, fourth in the 200 and third in the relay.
• What goes through your mind during a race? Just following the game plan. Me and my coaches always make a plan for the race, and I follow it as closely as possible.
• How tense are the moments before a race begins? It's dead silence. You try to clear your mind. You don't want to overthink and think about anyone but yourself. You just want to run your race.
• What are your goals this season? My biggest is to win WPIALs. Whatever I do at states, I'll be happy. I want to do all I can as a junior and come in top three of states.
• Can you describe competing in the Junior Olympics? It was nice to get out of the state and see some really good competition. It's great to run against other great runners across the nation, and push myself to do better.
-- By Craig Meyer
Last week: Kolick went 4 for 4 with six RBIs to help Hempfield beat Norwin Thursday and went 3 for 4 with a grand slam the next day in a win against Class AAAA No. 1 Canon-McMillan.
Check this out: Kolick, a junior outfielder, missed her sophomore season (torn labrum in right shoulder,) but bounced back to be one of the top hitters in the WPIAL. She is batting .478 with 3 homers,15 RBIs. She was an all-section selection as a freshman when she hit .560 with 25 RBIs.
? Did you expect to be hitting this well? Honestly, I thought I'd come back and completely stink. I obviously knew I had lost a lot of muscle mass. I knew it was going to be tough and would have to keep working and working at it.
• Does it upset you that softball is no longer part of the Olympics? When I first heard [that], I got online and started signing petitions to get it back. I was so irritated. I always wanted to play in the Olympics.
• If you could go on a date with a famous person, who would it be and where would you take them? Probably Luke Bryan or Jason Aldean. I'm in love with both of them. We'd probably go quad riding, hang out in the woods and have a bonfire late at night.
-- By Brad Everett