Last week: Swanson rushed for 206 yards on 15 carries and scored a touchdown as Aliquippa defeated Washington, 34-7, to win the WPIAL Class AA championship Friday at Heinz Field. He was the sixth running back in WPIAL history to rush for at least 200 yards in a championship game at Heinz Field or Three Rivers Stadium.
Check this out: Swanson, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound junior, has rushed for 1,234 yards on 106 carries (11.6 average) and scored 19 touchdowns. He splits time at halfback with Dravon Henry, who also has more than 1,000 yards rushing. Swanson also is a talented defensive back and is a possible Division I college prospect at DB. He is a cousin of former Aliquippa star running back Pudgy Abercrombie, who was a key member of the Quips' 1984 WPIAL Class AAA title team. Swanson and Aliquippa begin the PIAA playoffs tonight against Karns City at Central Valley's Sarge Alberts Stadium. As a sophomore, Swanson rushed for 835 yards on 134 attempts and scored nine touchdowns for an Aliquippa team that won the WPIAL Class AA title.
• Was Washington your best game offensively? Yes. My line seemed even more motivated. The holes were there, and the cutbacks were there for me.
• Were you surprised at how easily your team was able to run the football? We weren't that surprised because we watched the film and kind of picked out who the main factors would be for Washington, so we could get the push up front.
• You're fine splitting time with Dravon? I'm fine with it. I actually think it's better for us because this is a long season and you can get worn out with one back. We have two, so we're still fresh.
• Are you tired at all at this point in the season after 13 games? I'm actually rejuvenated. I'm ready for the state playoffs.
• Shouldn't you and Dravon have a nickname? We actually just started getting called Thunder and Lightning. I'm Thunder.
• Why aren't you Lightning? He has a little bit more speed [laugh]. I'm a little stronger.
• Would he agree that you're stronger? He probably wouldn't admit it [laugh].
• Three words to describe your coach, Mike Zmijanac? Humble, intelligent and disciplined.
• What is a TV show you can't miss? Monday Night Football.
• Do you watch the NBA much? Yes. I watch it a lot.
• Favorite player? Kobe Bryant.
• What's the hardest part of living in Aliquippa? I would say just hearing all the tragic things that happen. Then again, it motivates you to keep working.
• People might be surprised to know that ...? I am a very big, big fan of the New England Patriots.