Last week: Hathaway got a shutout in the WPIAL Class AAA championship game as Canon-McMillan defeated Upper St. Clair, 1-0. The win gave the Big Macs the first WPIAL title in school history. Besides making some big saves in the game, Hathaway also stopped a crucial penalty kick.
Check this out: Hathaway, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound senior, was superb in the WPIAL playoffs, allowing only one goal in four games for a team that entered the postseason as the No. 13 seed. For the year, Hathaway gave up more than one goal only once. Canon-McMillan had 10 shutouts through the WPIAL playoffs. Hathaway, a starter since his sophomore year, also was a kicker on the Big Macs' football team the past two seasons.
• Was the WPIAL championship your best game? That's hard to say. If it wasn't the best, it is probably tied for the best.
• What goes through a goalkeeper's mind on a penalty kick? I know personally I try to look at the taker to see if he's giving away any hints. A lot of people like to guess. For me, I normally don't. I just try to react. On Saturday [against Upper St. Clair] I was fortunate to get a hand on the shot and then get on the rebound.
• Are you guys a Cinderella team? I think if you look at the seedings, you could say that. But I wouldn't necessarily call us a Cinderella team. We only had four losses and they were all one-goal losses to Upper St. Clair and Peters Township. They were games that could have gone either way.
• Parents just don't understand ...? How tired we are after a long day at school and then practice.
• Teachers just don't understand ... ? Why our homework isn't completed to the best of our abilities the day after a game.
Last week: Matusik had a game-high 16 kills in helping the Mars girls volleyball team win its first WPIAL championship after a 3-0 triumph against top-seed and defending champion Hopewell in the Class AA final Saturday.
Check this out: Matusik, a senior outside hitter, is one of the top players in Class AA. A three-year starter, Matusik led the Planets in kills in each of their WPIAL playoff wins, all coming by 3-0 scores. The Planets, who beat Indiana in a PIAA first-round match Tuesday, play Meadville in Saturday's quarterfinals. Matusik has committed to California (Pa.).
• What did the team do to celebrate the championship win? We all went to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner.
• Who can eat the most wings on the team? (Laughs) Definitely Jaden Zimmer.
• Before the season, did you think you had a good shot of winning the WPIAL title? This actually surprised some of us. Some had a good feeling about it, but I was one of the ones who were a little skeptical. I knew we could do it, but knew it would be tough.
• It's been a great fall for Mars athletics. I'm guessing the school spirit is pretty high, right? Yeah, it's crazy. We knew our [senior] class was really good at sports, but I don't think anybody thought we'd be this successful.
• If you could meet any Steelers player, who would it be? Probably Ben Roethlisberger. He's one of the best players on the team and I think a lot of people don't give him enough respect.
• Who would you most like to see in concert? Lady Gaga. Not because I like her music, but I know she's a good performer and would put on a really good show.
• Favorite cartoon when you were young? Definitely SpongeBob SquarePants. It's a classic.