• VA Butler Healthcare, 325 New Castle Road, Butler Township, is hosting the following events on Thursday in the Healthcare Auditorium, Building 1. Information: 724-496-3279.
-- Mental Health Summit, including increasing resources for family members, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness; and increasing coordination of care between VA and community providers, 8 a.m. to noon. Speaker: Dr. Frederick J. Frese, 11 a.m.
-- Recovery Recognition Day, 1 to 3 p.m.
• St. Clair Hospital, Mt. Lebanon, is conducting prostate screenings and a seminar for men ages 55 and older at 6 p.m. Oct. 1 at the hospital. Preregistration is required by Sept. 26.
The hospital is also sponsoring another screening from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 29 at its Outpatient Center, Village Square, 2000 Oxford Drive, Bethel Park.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following programs at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. To register, call 724-274-5202 unless otherwise indicated.
-- Medicare Educational Seminar with Highmark 6 p.m. Tuesday. Presenter: Dona Marks, senior benefits consultant with Highmark Senior Markets.
-- "Understanding Anticoagulants & Vitamin K," 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday. Presenter: AVH pharmacist Jane Holmes.
-- Highmark BCBS Medicare Solutions seminar, 12:30 p.m. Sept. 17. Call 1-800-978-0231. Space limited to 30.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following programs on Wednesday unless otherwise indicated.
-- Emergency Safety Tips for Children and Grandchildren, 6 p.m., Willow Room, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver, as part of MVH's Innovations in Medicine series. Speaker is pediatrician Perveen Punjani. To register, call 724-258-1333.
-- Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, 6 to 8 p.m., Bartolotta's Giant Eagle, Fisher Heights, 1300 Country Club Road, Carroll. Space limited. Advance registration is required by calling 724-258-1148.
-- National School Backpack Awareness Day, 6 p.m. Sept. 17, Healthy Directions, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. For more information or to register, call 724-348-6699.
• Home Instead Senior Care is offering the following Changing Aging Through Research and Education workshops for family members dealing with Alzheimer's and other dementias. Call 1-866-996-1087.
-- Munhall, 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, training center, 3612 Main St.
-- Oakmont, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Sept. 17, Carnegie Library, 700 Allegheny River Blvd.
-- Jeannette, 4 to 6 p.m. Sept. 19, training center, 1111 Lowry Ave.
-- Bethel Park, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Sept. 24, Home Instead Senior Care for Training and Education, Suite 415, 2000 Oxford Drive.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg, unless otherwise indicated. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- "Breastfeeding Success," 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
-- Smoking cessation, six weeks, 5 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays beginning next Monday, Excela Frick Hospital, Mount Pleasant Borough; and Tuesdays beginning Oct. 8, Excela Square at Norwin, 8775 Norwin Ave., North Huntingdon.
-- Infant care, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Sept. 17 and 24.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a Joslin Diabetes Center's Self-Management Education one-day class from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Fees payable by insurance. Space limited to 20. To register, call 724-367-2400.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is hosting an eight-week smoking cessation program at 7 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Sept. 18 in the cafeteria conference room. Registration is required by Friday. Call 724-226-7339.
• Penn State Extension is offering a food safety training course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 19 and 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 26 at its Westmoreland County office, 214 Donohoe Road, Hempfield. The cost is $175, and the deadline is Thursday. For more information, call 724-837-1402.
• The Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program is sponsoring a basic preparation course for those interested in becoming parish nurses from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 4, 8:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Oct. 5, 8:45 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 11 and 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 12 at UPMC Mercy, 1400 Locust St., Uptown. The cost is $395 per person, which includes course materials and continuing education credits for nurses. The deadline is Sept. 27, and space is limited to 20. Limited scholarship funds are available. Call 412-232-5815.
n The McKeesport area chapter of the National Alliance for Mental Illness is meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in room 122 of the Frable Building on the Greater Allegheny campus of Penn State University, 4000 University Blvd., McKeesport. Speaker is Charles Keenan of the Allegheny County Department of Human Services, whose topic is the types of housing available for persons with mental illnesses. For more information, call 412-373-7977.
• The Washington Health System is holding an open house from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday at its new Diagnostic Center, 4198 Washington Road, Peters. A ribbon-cutting is taking place at approximately 1:30 p.m. Call 724-223-3774.
• Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield is hosting a special Grandparents' Month event, including giveaways and activities for fans of all ages, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday outside the Federal Street entrance to PNC Park before the Pirates' game against the Chicago Cubs. Call 412-544-2518.
• Monroeville Public Library is sponsoring a Book Blast 5K at 9 a.m. Sunday at Monroeville Community Park, 2399 Tillbrook Road. the Cost is $25. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. Call 412-372-0500.
--?Compiled by Rick Nowlin
• The Boyd Community Center, 1220 Powers Run Road, O'Hara, is hosting the following classes. Call 412-828-8566 ext. 32.
-- Pilates on the Ball, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Mondays beginning today. Cost: $62.51, $50.01 for members; drop-in fee: $11, $9 for members.
-- Pilates, Thursdays from Thursday to Oct. 24. Cost: $62.51, $50.01 for members; drop-in fee $11, $9 for members. Intermediate class, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.; beginners' class, 10:45 to 11:45 a.m.
-- Zumba, 7:15 to 8:15 p.m. Mondays from Sept. 19 to Oct. 14. Cost: $31.25, $25 for members. No class on Sept. 23.
• Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2040 Washington Road, Upper St. Clair, is holding an orientation meeting for its First Place 4 Health Christian-oriented weight-loss program from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday. Call 412-835-6630.
• Madeline Martucci is teaching the following hatha yoga classes. Call 724-337-3750.
-- Highland Park, 5 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays from today to Dec. 23. Cost: $144.
-- Plum, noon to 1:30 p.m. Sundays from Sunday to Dec. 22. Cost: $135.
--?Compiled by Rick Nowlin