Find more health events at post-gazette.com.
• VA Butler Healthcare will hold a sun safety and cancer prevention event for the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday on the lawn outside of the primary care entrance of the facility at 325 New Castle Road, Butler.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Innovations in Knee Replacements" at 6 p.m. at the following places as part of its Innovations in Medicine series. Speaker is Dr. Scott Baron. To register, call 724-258-1333.
-- Tuesday, Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center, Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll.
-- Next Monday, Willow Room, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver.
• Passavant Hospital Foundation is sponsoring a program on Parkinson's disease from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Sherwood Oaks Continuing Care Retirement Community, 100 Norman Drive, Cranberry. Speaker is UPMC neurologist Erek M. Lam. Reservations are required. Call 1-800-642-2217.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring "First Aid for Kids" from 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday at UPMC South, Bethel Park. The cost is $10, and registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources, in conjunction with the Valley Health and Safety Training Center, is sponsoring an Infant & Child CPR class from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. The costs $40 and advance registration is required. Call 724-684-9536.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a Safe Sitter baby-sitting course from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. The cost is $50 per student, and space is limited to six. Call 724-274-5202.
• The University of Pittsburgh is conducting a telephone research study about environmental risk factors that may play a role in the development of autism spectrum disorder. Researchers are interested in talking to parents of children on the spectrum who were born between January 2005 and December 2009 with a confirmed diagnosis of ASD and who was born in Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Washington or Westmoreland counties. Parents interested in participating may call Anna Sangl at 412-624-1599 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $20 gift card will be sent to study participants. Information: www.childhoodautism.pitt.edu
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• High school students interested in pursuing a sports medicine career or enhancing their athletic training-room skills are invited to attend the 16th annual Student Athletic Training Aide Workshop from July 23 to 25 at The Ellis School, 6425 Fifth Ave., Shadyside. The UPMC Center for Sports Medicine has designed the workshop to expose students to key areas of sports medicine through lectures and practice in athletic training techniques and procedures. The fee for the program is $55 if paid by July 1, then $65 through the July 8 end of registration. The cost includes course and lab materials, daily breakfast and lunch, plus a T-shirt. Optional CPR and AED certifications cost an additional $10 total. Supervising certified athletic trainers may accompany the high school students at no charge. Free parking will be provided; space is limited. For questions or to register, call 412-432-3770.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.health