The Red Cross offers these tips for a safe and fun Halloween:
• Make sure an adult accompanies the trick-or-treaters.
• Plan a route beforehand to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
• Never walk in the street.
• Make sure costumes stand out at night by adding reflective tape or using face paint instead of a mask.
• Keep the steps to your home and front yard clean and well lit.
When accepting treats:
• Children should accept them only at the door. Don't let them go into a house.
• Inspect the treats thoroughly to make sure they haven't been contaminated.