The Orchid Society of Western Pennsylvania always ushers in the new growing season with an annual show in March. Now it will close out the season with an Orchid Festival, today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Phipps Garden Center, 1059 Shady Ave., Shadyside.
Just like the spring event, this festival is free and open to the public and will feature blooming orchids, lectures, plant raffles and sales by orchid vendors. There will also be hard-to-find growing supplies offered for sale.
Free lectures today are:
• "Moving Your Orchid Hobby out of the Kitchen into a Greenhouse" by Jeff Kenyon, 12:30 p.m.
• "Tips for Growing Bulbophyllum Orchids" by Edgar Stehli, 2 p.m.
• "Save Energy: How to Grow and Care for Cool Growing Orchids" by Russ Vernon, 2:45 p.m.
• "Growing Mounted Orchids" by Erich Michael, 12:15 p.m.
• "Growing Orchids Under Lights: New Grow Lighting Techniques" by Wayne Roberts, 1 p.m.
• "Tips for Growing Magnificent Cattleya Orchids" by Rich Sipko, 1 p.m.
Society members will be on hand both days to answer cultural questions.
For information: www.oswp.org.