■ The League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania is sponsoring "Shale Drilling and Public Health: A Day of Discovery," a conference on the latest research relating to shale gas extraction and its impact on public health, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Heinz History Center, 1212 Smallman St., Strip District. The conference features nationally known experts who are addressing topics ranging from worker health to the impact of unconventional drilling on food production, the health effects of industrial noise and shale industry best practices, among others. Interactive exhibits from health organizations and environmental and agricultural groups are to cover a range of practical information for the consumer, including a demonstration of innovative in-home water monitoring equipment and up-to-date information on how to enroll for health insurance. The conference and exhibits are free to the public. Pre-registration is required. Visit http://shale.palwv.org or call 1-800-617-4253.
■ Latrobe Area Hospital Aid Society is sponsoring a book fair 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday in the Little Shop corridor of Excela Health Latrobe Hospital. Call 724-689-0206.
■ Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer:
• Baby Care, 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday. Cost: $50 per couple. Call 412.578.7030 to register. Space limited to 20.
• Basic life support for healthcare providers, including CPR, 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday. Cost: $50 per student, includes required manual. Call 724-274-5202.
■ The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following classes on Sunday at its Butler County office, 312 N. Mercer St., Butler, except where indicated. Call 1-888-733-2767.
• First aid/CPR/AED for instructors, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies. Cost: $500. A Blended Learning course with both online and classroom segments.
• Adult CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to noon. Cost: $70.
• Adult first aid/CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cost: $90.
■ Excela Health is sponsoring a car seat safety class from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 26 in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
■ The Wilkins School Community Center, 7604 Charleston Ave., Swissvale, is hosting the following classes:
• Boot Camp Style Circuit Training, 6 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. Cost: $15 per session, discounts for monthly purchases. Call 412-339-0921.
• Synergy Fitness Metabolic conditioning, 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost: $12 per session, discounts for group purchases. Call 412-613-0225.
• Wei Gung Fu Martial Arts, 6 p.m. Thursdays. Cost: $20 per class. Call 412-352-8065.
• Beginning T'ai Chi Ch'uan, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays or 11 a.m. Saturdays. Cost: $130 for 10 weeks. Call 412-421-8580.
• Fit and FUNctional Strength Training, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Saturdays. Cost: $12 per session, discounts for group purchases. Call 412-613-0225.
• "Creative Balance 4 Empowering People" fitness boot camp, 6 to 7 p.m. Fridays. Cost: $8 per session. Call 412-537-8037.
• Zumba, 6 to 7 p.m. Fridays or 10 to 11 a.m. Sundays. Cost: $5 per session. 412-521-0726.