The Sept. 7 Steel City Big Pour -- the craft beer, food, music and art festival fund-raiser at Construction Junction in Point Breeze -- is sold out. But you still can attend one of the ancillary events that happen around the city and region as part of Big Pour Week.
The Post-Gazette, the Big Pour's media sponsor, would like to include your event as we continue to update this calendar. To be listed, please email the particulars -- including times, dates and a contact -- to firstname.lastname@example.org. Events must involve craft beer, and like the main event, they may also involve food, art, music and other sustainable fun.
For more about the Pour, visit www.constructionjunction.org.
Meanwhile, you might still be able to win tickets to the event. For instance, Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty is raffling off a pair of Pour tickets during Big Pour Week (the winner will be picked Friday night, Sept. 6), with all proceeds going to the Animal Rescue League.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR BIG POUR WEEK
SATURDAY, AUG. 31
• At 2 p.m. at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, they'll be tapping two barrel-aged goodies from Meadville's Voodoo Brewery: Big Black Voodoo Daddy aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels and Gran Met aged in Laird's Apple Brandy barrels, "plus some other surprises from Voodoo."
MONDAY, SEPT. 2
• At 2 p.m., Mad Mex in Robinson is presenting, with Victory Brewing, the first annual "Taste of Victory" Cornhole Tournament "No admission fee and we will be featuring Victory Brewing's Liberty Bell Ringer DIPA, one of the only chances to try this beer in Pittsburgh," notes assistant manager Stephanie McCullough. Teams will consist of two people; to enter, email email@example.com.
• From 6 to 8 p.m. at Franktuary in Lawrenceville, they'll be tapping kegs from Delaware, Pa.'s ShawneeCraft Brewing, including Raspberry Blanche and seasonal coconut/ginger/cardamom Cuvee. "Be the first in Pittsburgh to try the new imperial honey VSOP beer paired with a shot of Laird's AppleJack," invites the restaurant, promising, "Glassware, stickers, beer and brandy!"
TUESDAY, SEPT. 3
• From 6 to 8 p.m. at Bockown Robinson in North Fayette, Victory Brewing will be featuring/sampling its Red Thunder "and a few others on tap."
• From 7 to 9 p.m., during Bacon Night at the Harris Grill in Shadyside, Matt Zrebiec from Oskar Blues will be showcasing seven Oskar Blues beers on draft including Station #3 and The Deuce (a collaboration between Oskar Blues and Sun King).
• At 7 p.m., Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty is holding its annual Mini Wet Hopped Beerfest. Local breweries including East End, Full Pint and Roundabout present their wet-hopped offerings made with locally sourced and freshly harvested hops.
• From 6 to 8 p.m., BRGR in East Liberty celebrates with Troegs Brewing.
• From 6 to 8 p.m., Bocktown Monaca will present Three Heads Brewing, "a hophead's adventure."
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 4
• From 5 to 7 p.m. at the Smiling Moose in South Side, it's Victory Brewing Happy Hour featuring several drafts including HopDevil and HopDevil nitro.
• Starting at 5 p.m. Mad Mex Oakland is holding a "Dead Reckoning Spicy Wing Challenge." Featured, along with extremely spicy wings, will be several Troegs Brewing "Scratch" beers and fall seasonals on tap: Scratch 101 session IPA, Scratch 105 IPA, Scratch 99 witbier, The Naked Elf, Troegenator double bock and of course Dead Reckoning porter. For details, check out the restaurant's Facebook account or call 412-681-5656.
• At 7 p.m., Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty presents an East End Brewing Tap Takeover, featuring that brewery's beers and the people who make them.
• From 5 to 8 p.m., BRGR in East Liberty celebrates with Yards Brewing.
• From 6 to 8 p.m., Bocktown Robinson will present a Barrel Room Sampling of goodies from Voodoo Brewing with Matt Allyn.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 5
• Starting at 5 p.m. at Over The Bar Bicycle Cafe in South Side, it's Oskar Blues Night. Matt Zrebiec will be on hand to present a special keg of 4 Roses barrel-aged Ten FIDY, Station #3 and the Deuce (a collaboration between Oskar Blues and Sun King). Swag will be flying while it lasts.
• From 7 to 9 p.m. at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, it's the first anniversary of "Top Shelf Thursday," which started during Big Pour Week 2012. The theme is "People's Choice" -- the first 10 people to sign up will help pick the lineup of 10 rare and limited beers. Customers can sample all 10 for $17.
• From 7 to 10 p.m. at in BZ's on the North Side, it's a Victory Beer Dinner featuring several limited/draft-only brews.
• At 7 p.m., Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty is presenting a Helltown Brewing Tap Takeover, featuring that breweries beers and the people who make them.
• From 5 to 7 p.m., BRGR in East Liberty celebrates with Helltown Brewing.
• From 6 to 8 p.m., Bocktown Monaca will present a Yards Brewing Pynk Release Party with Alan Wildy.
• From 1 to 3 p.m., Bocktown Robinson will present New Holland barrel-aged beer pairings.
• At 7 p.m. at Blue Dust in Homestead, it's part one of its Big Pour Preview Party, focusing on the brews of Southern Tier, including Pumking, Plum Noir, 2X IPA and Creme Brulee. The dinner feature is Jerry's Carnivore Platter -- a brisket slider, pastrami slider, smoked beef rib, mac-'n'-cheese, coleslaw and spiced Southwestern corn on the cob.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 6
• From 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at BRGR in East Liberty, it's a Victory Brewing beer and burger pairing.
• Matt from Oskar Blues will preside over a mini tap takeover of at least five Oskar Blues beers, including Old Chub on nitro and a special to Pittsburgh, Station No. 3 Wheat, starting at 5 p.m. at Double Wide Grill in Mars.
• Jake from Bell's Brewery will is doing seven-plus beers starting at 6 p.m. at Harris Grill. He says they will include including pub exclusives Wedding Ale, Deb's Red "and the very last keg of Barrel Aged Batch 9000 that will be in Western Pennsylvania" -- and which will go fast. "We're also going to tap a firkin of Two Hearted that night as well."
• Church Brew Works will be tapping a unique IPA firkin (so unique, we haven't completely decided on it yet) at Caliente in Bloomfield. Join the brewer starting 6 p.m.; they will stay until the firkin runs dry.
• From 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Blue Dust in Homestead, it's part two of the Big Pour Preview Party, featuring brews from Anderson Valley, Bell's, Troeg's and Victory -- Anderson Valley Horse Tongue Wheat and Basil IPA; Bell's Wedding Ale, Q Falls and Best Brown Ale; Victory Red Thunder, Festbier and Ranch Double IPA; and Troeg's Octoberfest, Dead Reckoning Porter, and a surprise Scratch Beer. The dinner feature is Jerry's Carnivore Platter -- brisket slider, pastrami slider, smoked beef rib, mac-n-cheese, coleslaw and spiced Southwestern corn on the cob. Plus the place's famous smoked oysters as well.
• From 9 to 11 p.m. at Smokin' Joes Saloon in South Side, Victory Brewing will hold a "pint night" featuring Red Thunder, Ranch DIPA and others and you keep the glass.
• At 7 p.m., Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty will present a Bullfrog Brewery Tap Takeover. For this Pittsburgh bar debut of these Williamsport brews, the brewery owner and both brewers will be on hand. Starting at 8 p.m., The Shelf Life String Band will start playing bluegrass on the patio.
• From 7 to 9 p.m., Bocktown Robinson will present a Blue Point IPA Expo with Rob Johnson.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 8
• As per tradition, starting at 10 the morning after the Big Pour, Fat Head's Saloon on the South Side will hold its annual "Breakfast Brunch" featuring Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Java Head Stout from Troegs Brewing and Hippy Sippy Imperial Stout infused with Espresso (aka High-Strung Hippy) from Fat Head's Brewery. Pouring, too, will be the place's famous Bloody Mary's laced with its Original Wing Sauce. Some snacks will include local favorites -- waffles from Point Brugge Cafe and bacon from Allegheny City Smokehouse. "This event is first-come, first-served."
First Published August 16, 2013 4:00 AM