Sushi donuts and sushi tacos on the menu at fast casual Oakland spot.
At 8 p.m. tonight, "Beer Wars Live" plays at scores of theaters around the country, including two in this area. They'll show the documentary "Beer Wars" by Anat Baron and then air a live panel discussion, hosted by Ben Stein from Los Angeles. Brewers and beer industry experts, including Dogfish Head's Sam Calagione, Brewers Association's Charlie Papazian and author Maureen Ogle, will be on the panel. Tickets are $15 (plus a $1 service charge if you buy online). Learn more at beerwarsmovie.com.
One local venue is the Showcase West Cinemas in Robinson. Starting at 6 p.m., next door at Mad Mex, you can sit in on a happy hour "pre-show beer drinking and discussion," featuring Dogfish and other brews and Vecenie Distributing sales reps.
Afterward, take your ticket stub to the after party at nearby Bocktown Beer & Grille in North Fayette and get a free draft.
The other place you can see the show is at Cinemark 17 Pittsburgh Mills in Tarentum.
From 6 to 9 p.m. May 1, the second Brewers Ball rolls at South Side's I.B.E.W. No. 5's Circuit Center, to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and sponsored by Fat Head's. For $60, you get craft brews, food and entertainment and help a good cause. This list of participating brewers and bars is over a dozen. Learn more at 412-321-4422 and cff.org/chapters/wpa.
May 15 is the date for East End Brewing Co.'s annual Pedal Pale Ale Keg Ride. They'll release the summer season at a local watering hole that night, but only after East End's Scott Smith tows it there by bike trailer.
Bicyclists who want to ride along show up at the Homewood brewery at 6 p.m. and head out around 7 p.m. to the secret spot, where they can cash in a token for a free draft. For more, visit eastendbrewing.com.
Speaking of EEBC, its Monkey Boy Hefeweizen is being served in the Club Level of PNC Park this baseball season.
Mr. Smith thanked his customers who helped make it happen, noting, "This is great news for us, as it represents a big ol' foot in the door for local craft beer at the ball park, something that's been pretty hard to come by for a while now." Fans also can find Celestial Gold and Pious Monk Dunkel from Lawrenceville's Church Brew Works, Penn Brewery's Pilsner and Gold and Erie Brewing's Railbender, among others.
The Brewers Association, the Boulder, Colo., trade group, has announced the annual lists of top 50 (based on 2008 sales volume) brewing companies. This year, 37 of the top 50 are independent craft brewers, compared to 35 in 2007, noted Paul Gatza, the group's director. Only one Pennsylvania outfit made the top 50 craft breweries list -- Victory Brewing in Downingtown at No. 35 -- but several are on the overall list, including Pittsburgh's Iron City.
Here's the overall list:
1. Anheuser-Busch InBev, St. Louis
2. MillerCoors Brewing Co., Chicago
3. Pabst Brewing Co., Wood-ridge, Ill.
4. Boston Beer Co., Boston
5. D.G. Yuengling and Son Inc., Pottsville, Pa.
6. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Ca.
7. Craft Brewers Alliance, Inc., (includes Redhook and Widmer Bros.), Woodinville, Wa.
8. New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Co.
9. High Falls Brewing Co., Rochester, N.Y.
10. Spoetzl Brewery, Shiner, Texas
11. Pyramid Breweries Inc., Seattle
12. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
13. Iron City Brewing Co. Pittsburgh
14. Minhas Craft Brewery, Monroe, Wis.
15. Matt Brewing Co., Utica, N.Y.
16. Boulevard Brewing Co., Kansas City
17. Full Sail Brewing Co., Hood River, Ore.
18. Magic Hat Brewing Co., Burlington, Vt.
19. Alaskan Brewing Co., Juneau, Alaska
20. Harpoon Brewery, Boston
21. Bell's Brewery, Inc., Galesburg, Mich.
22. Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago
23. Kona Brewery LLC, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
24. Anchor Brewing Co., San Francisco
25. August Schell Brewing Co., New Ulm, Minn.
26. Shipyard Brewing, Portland, Me.
27. Summit Brewing Co., Saint Paul, Minn.
28. Stone Brewing Co., Escondido, Calif.
29. Mendocino Brewing Co., Ukiah, Calif.
30. Abita Brewing Co., L.L.C., Abita Springs, La.
31. The Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
32. New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus, Wis.
33. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
34. Long Trail Brewing Co., Bridgewater Corners, Vt.
35. Gordon Biersch Brewing Co., San Jose, Calif.
36. Rogue Ales/Oregon Brewing Co., Newport, Ore.
37. Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland
38. The Lagunitas Brewing Co., Petaluma, Calif.
39. Firestone Walker Brewing Co., Paso Robles, Calif.
40. SweetWater Brewing Co., Atlanta
41. Flying Dog Brewing Co., Frederick, Md.
42. BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, Huntington Beach, Calif.
43. Rock Bottom Brewery Restaurants, Louisville, Colo.
44. BridgePort Brewing Co., Portland, Ore.
45. Odell Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Colo.
46. Victory Brewing Co., Downingtown, Pa.
47. Straub Brewery, Saint Marys, Pa.
48. Cold Spring Brewing Co., Cold Spring, Minn.
49 Mac and Jack's Brewery, Redmond, Wash.
50. Big Sky Brewing Co., Missoula, Mont.
For more, visit brewersassociation.org.
Send beer news to Bob Batz Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-263-1930.