It's a problem that plagues many women: how to get the rest of the makeup out of the bottom of a cosmetics bottle. Local entrepreneur Nicole Manns came up with a solution with her product Nikki's Magic Wand, a mascara bottle-shaped container with wand that can scoop foundation, lip gloss, mascara and more out of those hard-to-reach corners other makeup applicators often cannot reach.
Her Pittsburgh-based cosmetics tool company has earned a spot in the QVC Sprouts contest, in which consumers will vote at www.qvc.com for the product they'd like to see sold on the 24-hour shopping network. Voting runs through Sept. 13.
Ms. Manns' product also will be included in some celebrity gift lounges at The Empire Hotel on Manhattan's Upper West Side during New York Fashion Week. Learn more at www.nikkismagicwand.com.
More from the Pittsburgh fashion and beauty front ...
• Trunk shows at Larrimor's, Downtown: Boost your wardrobe with feminine separates that marry chic with modern style at a trunk show through Wednesday for women sizes 14W-24W and 1X-3X. For men, see the latest in suits by Hickey Freeman on Thursday and browse footwear by Allen Edmonds Thursday through Saturday.
Information: 412-471-5727 or www.larrimors.com.
• Tasteful Tuesdays at The Mall at Robinson: Add something sweet -- for your ears and taste buds -- to your shopping at monthly Tasteful Tuesdays events in the mall food court. From 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month, free jazz music, food samplings and giveaways will be on hand.
• Pilot Club of Pittsburgh fall for fashion show: The group will hold its annual fashion show and luncheon at 11 a.m. Saturday at South Hills Country Club. Fashions by Phyllis, a bake sale, silent auction, a lottery tree and more will color the event.
Tickets are $30. Contact Terri Hegerle at 412-381-4989 or Mollie Gray at 412-751-4929 to inquire.
• Snuggle Bugs toy sale at Iceoplex, Southpointe: Stock up on toys, books, bikes, DVDs, video games and more for children ages toddler to tween from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday.
Information: snugglebugsconsignment.com or 412-832-0642.
• Model search for annual American Girl fashion show: The Junior League of Pittsburgh is seeking girls size 6x or 10 to model looks inspired by clothes from American Girl's historical and "Dress Like Your Doll" collections and Bitty Baby line at its annual fashion show Nov. 16-17 at the Montour Heights Country Club.
Those interested should complete an application at www.jlpgh.org and bring it to the search, along with a close-up and full-length photo of the child. Include the child's name and parental contact information on the back of the photos.
The next search is 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Learning Express at The Galleria, Mt. Lebanon. The model application fee is $30 for those selected to participate in the show.
• MoZaic Boutique to reopen in Collier Town Square: The upscale women's shop will celebrate its grand opening at 1597 Washington Pike, Suite A-13, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday. Festivities will include mimosas, music, giveaways and a free gift for those with purchases of more than $100. The store also will carry new brands, such as Desigual, Leatherock and Ex Novo Bijoux.
• Second Destination XL store for men opens in Pittsburgh: There is now another place to turn for "the fashion needs of bigger guys." DXL has another location in the region at 4801 McKnight Road. It offers apparel by designers such as Michael Kors, Lacoste, Lucky Brand Jeans, Polo Ralph Lauren and more. Sizes start at XL, and waist sizes go from 40 inches and higher. Tall-sized selections also are available, and shoes come in sizes 10 to 16 with widths to 4E. A tailor is on site to help men find fashions with the perfect fit.
For more from PG fashion writer Sara Bauknecht, check out the PG's Stylebook blog at www.post-gazette.com/stylebook. Follow her on Twitter @SaraB_PG. To have a fashion or style event considered for Stylebook, send listing to email@example.com. First Published September 3, 2013 4:00 AM