The University of Pittsburgh's commencement ceremonies were held today with no disruption despite fears by some that a bomb threat could cause an evacuation of the event held at the Petersen Events Center.
Between Feb. 13 and April 21, the Pitt campus had been the target of 46 bomb threats. There have been no threats since April 21 when a group called "The Threateners" took responsibility for the bulk of the threats made by email.
The group said it was ending the threats because the university dropped the $50,000 reward it had been offering for tips leading to the arrest and prosecution of the person or people responsible.
Some in the crowd headed into the Petersen today were antsy on their way into the ceremony as they passed through security similar to that required at Pitt football games, including bag checks and pat-downs. It turned out there was no need to worry.
More than 2,000 graduates participated in the ceremony and about 10,000 guests attended.
University Chancellor Mark Nordenberg in his remarks said that the students' ability to continue their work throughout the bomb threats showed the resiliency of the university community.
Mary Niederberger: email@example.com or 412-263-1590.