Student-loan Web sites

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Here are some Web sites with helpful information on student loans: -- The official student aid Web site of the U.S. Department of Education has information on all federal programs. -- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is required for federal financial aid, including determining eligibility for Stafford loans. The application and directions are available online. It should be filed as soon as possible after Jan. 1 each year. -- This provides the publication "Funding Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid " by the U.S. Department of Education. -- The office of the Federal Student Aid ombudsman can help resolve disputes between federal student loan borrowers and lenders. It also has explanations of payment options. -- This information site, owned by Monster Worldwide and published by Mark Kantrowitz of Cranberry, explains the difference in various loans, provides calculators on cost and information about what many lenders offer. -- This program of the National Consumer Law Center provides information on the rights and responsibilities of student loan borrowers. -- Advocacy group offers advice for borrowers. -- The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency and its arm, American Education Services, give budgeting and repayment advice. -- Grassroots site sharing stories, started by Alan Collinge, who defaulted on his student loans. -- Consumers Union offers advice about student loans and a worksheet for comparing loan offers.

PDF: -- Consumers Union has a report called "Helping Families Finance College: Improved Student Loan Disclosures and Counseling." -- New America Foundation has a project on student loan troubles. -- U.S. Committee on Education and Labor provides information on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. -- The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators also has information on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?