People on the move
Phillip A. White
• Job: Senior vice president and executive producer, Velocity Broadcasting
• Age: 44
• Ambitions: To make Velocity Broadcasting the gold standard in private television broadcasting, corporate communications and unique world-class concert performances.
• First job: In the '70s working for my grandfather, Robert Wade, and his brother, Olander, in their home improvement/handyman business. My day's wage was one quarter.
• Hardest job/why: US Airways reservationist. It was like chaining an eagle to a pole or clipping its wings. While there is nothing wrong with fielding constant phone calls, making never-ending computer entries and dealing with demanding travelers day in and day out, the job made it almost impossible to own my own thoughts.
• Biggest work challenge ever: Founding One Rock Technologies Inc. (food/health information company) from absolutely nothing. My greatest challenge was to keep going when it seemed like it would make more sense to give up. I learned how to adjust, but not to quit.
• Favorite stock/mutual fund: Morton's of Chicago -- The Steakhouse
• Away from work I: Spend as much time as possible with my wife and three children.
• Dream vacation: Globetrotting with my wife and children on our Gulfstream G550 to every turquoise water destination, white sandy beach and amusement park on the planet.
• Favorite books: The Bible (New International Version), The Art of the Start, Don Quixote and The Garbage Man's Son (The autobiography of Archie Dennis Jr.).
• If I won the Lottery: [I'd] never win the Lottery because I never play. Luck does not fit into my life's plan and purpose.
Ten United hired Jim Bolander as design director and Brandy Mitchell as account coordinator.
Mike Neville joined Gateway Bank as a business banker.
KU Resources Inc. hired Pat McCarey as a project manager, remediation services.
Scott Mance joined Guardian Construction Management Services Inc. as senior project manager.
David Sims joined Ditto Document Solutions as an account manager.
Asset Inc. announced that Rex L. Crawley, Ph.D., head, communications & associate professor of communications, Robert Morris University, was appointed to its board. Mr. Crawley will serve on the Communications/ Resource Development Committee.
The Allegheny Intermediate Unit promoted Jennifer Beagan to senior program director for educational services, and Rosanne Javorsky to senior program director of curriculum and instruction; and Mike Radage was hired as a human relations specialist in charge of recruitment.
Robert Morris University announces the following faculty appointments in its School of Business, effective June 1. Associate professor of management Jeffery Guiler, Ph.D. was named head of the department of management; assistant professor of accounting Kamala Raghavan was named head of the department of accounting and taxation. Raghavan succeeds James Rebele, Ph.D., who will resume his role as a professor of accounting in the department.
University of Pittsburgh faculty member Siddharth Chandra was appointed director of Pitt's Asian Studies Center (ASC) within the University Center for International Studies (UCIS) He will begin his five-year term July 1.
Skelly and Loy named Sandra K. Basehore, vice president of environmental services, an associate of the firm.
Wachovia Securities promoted Charles J. Schilleci to resident branch manager in the Sewickley office.
Janney Montgomery Scott announced that Raymond A. DiGaetano was appointed regional manager for 25 Janney branch offices in Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio and West Virginia.
Burns White & Hickton named four new associates: Patrick C. Booth joined the transportation law group in the area of FELA and asbestos-related litigation; Amy Carnicella, transportation law group; Michael M. James, specializes in researching and writing complex briefs for all areas of litigation with a focus in appellate practice, and Edward W. Wertman, transportation group in the area of railroad defense litigation and professional liability.
Jonathan L. Alder has joined Keevican Weiss Bauerle & Hirsch to lead the firm's Employment and Employee Benefits Practice Group.
Matthew F. Dolfi joined Robb Leonard Mulvihill as an associate where he will focus his practice on general civil litigation, extra-contractual insurance litigation and civil rights.
Eckert Seamans Cherin and Mellott announced that it is expanding its Washington, D.C., office with the addition of a group of attorneys who will form the firm's newly created Aviation and Aerospace Law Practice. Joining as members are Evelyn Sahr, Thomas Whalen and John Delaney. Philip Livingston and Meaghan Molinini will join as associates.
After the acquisition of Oldham S.A. of France, Industrial Scientific Corp. announced changes to its corporate structure. Justin McElhattan was named president, Industrial Scientific Corp.; Jean-Marc Santraine was named president of ISC Oldham; and Dr. Annie Q. Wang was named president of Industrial Scientific Asia Pacific.
Pipitone Group hired Susan Hill, interactive project manager, Brant Gajda, interactive senior developer, and Brooke Werner, public relations specialist, channel marketing team.
Tony Meola joined Federated Mortgage Corp. as a senior loan officer.
The August Wilson Center for African American Culture appointed M. Cecile Shellman, director of education and public programs.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh named Cathy Green Samuels director of marketing and communications and Adrienne Indianer division director, customer service and sales.
Funeral Consumers Alliance of Western Pennsylvania named its board:
President: Lowell Swarts; vice president, Frank M. Ashbaugh; secretary, Madalon Amenta; treasurer, Robert F. Osborn. Trustees, Madalon Amenta, Mary Schafer, Arlene Stromberg, and Violeta Rodriguez for three-year terms.
Benchmark Hospitality International announced the appointment of Todd Gillespie as director of sales & marketing for the Bedford Springs Resort.
Basic Business Concepts Inc. hired Lynn M. Landis as director of nonprofit services; Sallie A. Adams, senior analyst; Barbara Sharan, bookkeeping.
Think Communications Inc. hired Kirstian Druschel as an assistant account executive.
Pittsburgh native Greg Ahlquist was promoted to senior network director, FOX News Channel. He attended Gannon University.
Let us know...
Dateline Pittsburgh appears every Monday. To propose an item, send information to Natalie Hill, Dateline Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 34 Blvd. of the Allies, Pittsburgh 15222, fax to 412-263-0908 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos submitted for the print edition version of this column may be sent via e-mail in JPEG format, 170 DPI, to email@example.com. Photo size should be an 8- by 10-inch or 4- by 5-inch head shot at 170 dpi.