Following last week's news that original co-host Joy Behar will be leaving "The View," along with rumors that Brooke Shields will be coming aboard to replace Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Barbara Walters attempted to set the record straight on Monday's program, People reports.
Walters, who made her entrance at the top of the show on Hasselbeck's arm, looked at the camera and said she wished to address "a particularly false story." She said that reports that Hasselbeck's opposing political views, as expressed on the show, were not forcing her removal.
"We love Elisabeth," said Walters, who also said that the others appreciate her political differences, too.
Without being specific, however, Walters also possibly suggested that Hasselbeck might be thinking about leaving. As the veteran co-host (and co-owner of the show) emphasized, whatever her colleagues want for themselves is what Walters wants for them, too.
In the past, Hasselbeck, 35, has clashed with her cohorts, usually because of her politically conservative stance.
In 2007, she and Rosie O'Donnell disagreed over the war in Iraq, and Hasselbeck and Barbara Walters, 83, also often did not see eye to eye on world and national issues.
Concerning her own future, Behar, 70, has said she wants to host a new interview show of her own. With a lump in her throat, Behar told Walters she will miss her on Monday's show. She also said (in a funny Top 10 list of why she's leaving) that ABC won't let her drink on the air, like "Today's" Kathie Lee and Hoda Kotb.
Hasselbeck came to "The View" in November 2003, after guest-hosting in the wake of Lisa Ling's departure the year before. On Monday, Whoopi Goldberg made note of Ling's new baby.
According to the New York Post, February sweeps ratings for "The View" -- the show had achieved its all-time highs during the Rosie O'Donnell era -- held steady in New York but slipped nearly 20 percent in Los Angeles and 11 percent in Chicago, the nation's No. 2 and 3 markets.
A report says Matt Lauer was ready to take the fall last year for troubles on NBC's "Today" show, The Associated Press reports.
The Daily Beast reported Monday that Lauer told Steve Burke, the chief executive of NBC Universal, that he would leave if Burke thought the show was better off without him. Burke dismissed the idea. The account of the behind-the-scenes drama at the troubled morning show was confirmed by show spokeswoman Megan Kopf on Monday.
"Today" has slipped behind ABC's "Good Morning America" in the ratings, and the slide was more pronounced after Ann Curry's messy departure as Lauer's co-host last summer.
Many viewers blamed Lauer for Curry's ouster, but the report said Lauer had been urging NBC to move more slowly with plans to replace her.
Two performers who say their songs have been used in Baauer's No. 1 hit "Harlem Shake" are seeking compensation because their vocals have been used without permission, the AP reports.
The New York Times reports that songs from Hector Delgado and Jayson Musson are used in "Harlem Shake," which has become a viral hit thanks to YouTube videos of people dancing to the song.
Delgado's "Maldades" and "Miller Time" by Musson's former rap group, Plastic Little, are said to be sampled in "Harlem Shake." The song is spending its third week on top of Billboard's Hot 100 chart.
Delgado and Musson say they never gave Baauer, who was born Harry Bauer Rodrigues, permission to use their songs. Both Musson and Delgado are seeking compensation from Mad Decent Records, which put out the single and declined to comment.
"All My Children" and "One Life to Live" will debut on Prospect Park's The Online Network on April 29, the network announced.
Emmy Award winner Agnes Nixon, creative consultant for both programs and a soap opera pioneer, added: "I am so pleased that our dream of bringing these two series back to life is coming to fruition. I am grateful to Prospect Park for their unwavering commitment to this project and to the amazingly talented casts of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' -- their devotion to these franchises has made this moment possible."
Brand new, 30-minute episodes of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" will be available to stream online weekdays in HD (when available) via the free Hulu (www.hulu.com) service and to the millions of Hulu Plus subscribers watching on connected TVs, mobile phones, tablets and PCs.
In addition, the iTunes Store will offer both series via iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV and Mac and PC, making these venerable dramas available in a new format that suits the viewing habits of the digital generation. Production began on "All My Children" Feb. 25, and shooting will begin on "One Life to Live" March 18. Both series are filmed in Stamford, Conn.