2 IUP students died of drug overdoses, coroner concludes

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Two Indiana University of Pennsylvania students died of acute multiple drug toxicity, Indiana County Coroner Michael A. Baker said today.

One of the students died Feb. 10, and the other overdosed March 18.

Douglas Haney, 18, of Bellefonte, Centre County, had been chewing on Fentanyl patches to extract the synthetic morphine. The patches normally are used in anesthesia and by prescription for severe pain.

Fentanyl can be 100 times stronger than morphine. The contents of the patch are released through a patient's skin over 72 hours when used properly.

Mr. Baker said that Mr. Haney ingested three days worth of the drug at once, which amounted to three times the lethal dose.

The second student, Brenton Croll, 18, of Roaring Spring, Blair County, was found dead around noon March 18, about five hours after he and another student crashed in a dorm room following a night of partying with drugs and alcohol.

Mr. Baker said toxicology tests showed Mr. Croll had used a number of prescription medications, including Xanax, an anti-depressant used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks.

The tests also showed Mr. Croll had been drinking alcohol, which greatly enhanced the effects of the drug. And he had been smoking marijuana, the coroner said.

The two incidents still are being investigated by police in the borough and on campus.

Jim McKinnon can be reached at 412-263-1939, or at jmckinnon@post-gazette.com.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?