Patti Austin kicks off MCG Jazz 2014-15 concert season MCG Jazz 2014-15 season
March 20, 2014 9:19 PM
Cecile McLorin Salvant.
By Rick Nowlin / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
This season of MCG Jazz concerts is winding down, but the stage is already being set for the 2014-15 lineup.
Two vocalists, Cecile McLorin Salvant, the 2010 winner of the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition, and Cyrille Aimee, winner of the Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal Competition, will make their Pittsburgh debuts in October and March, respectively.
In addition, Bob Mintzer will bring his R & Big Band, which will do material made famous by Sly Stone, the Isley Brothers, Sam & Dave and James Brown, in October. The Jon Faddis Jazz Orchestra of New York will do its take on the Duke Ellington jazz symphony "Black, Brown and Beige" during two nights in March.
For the first time MCG Jazz will delve into traditional blues with its Blues Hall of Fame Tour featuring Charlie Musselwhite, John Hammond and James Cotton on May 2.
MCG Jazz will also maintain its relatively new tradition of summer concerts again this year at Robert Morris University, bringing Jazz Attack to the Sewell Center at 7:30 p.m. July 25. The group comprises trumpeter Rick Braun; saxophonist Euge Groove, who broke out with Tower of Power during its early-1990s resurgence; and acoustic guitarist Peter White.
Performances take place at the Jazz Concert Hall of Manchester Craftsmen's Guild, North Side. Information: 412-322-0800 or www.mcgjazz.org.
• Patti Austin, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Sept. 27.
• Bob Mintzer R & Big Band, 8 p.m. Oct. 10 and 11.
• Cecile McLorin Salvant, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Oct. 25.
• The Buster Williams Quartet: Something More / The Sonny Fortune Quartet, 7 and 9:30 Nov. 7.
• Spyro Gyra, 7 and 9:30 p.m. Nov. 14.
• Jane Monheit, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Nov. 22.
• Larry Carlton Quartet, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Dec. 6.
• "Christmas with New York Voices: Let It Snow!" 7 and 9:30 p.m. Dec. 12.
• Branford Marsalis, 7 and 9:30 p.m. Feb. 6, 2015.
• Irvin Mayfield and New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, 7 and 9:30 p.m. Feb. 19, 2015.
• James Carter Organ Trio/Tribute to Slide Hampton, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Feb. 28, 2015.
• Kenny Barron/Cyrille Aimee, 6 and 8:30 p.m. March 7, 2015
• Jon Faddis Jazz Orchestra of New York, 8 p.m. March 27 and 28, 2015.
• Gerald Albright, 7 and 9:30 p.m. April 10, 2015.
• Larry Coryell/John and Gerald Clayton, 6 and 8:30 p.m. April 18, 2015.
• Blues Hall of Fame Tour featuring Charlie Musselwhite, John Hammond and James Cotton, 6 and 8:30 p.m. May 2, 2015.
• Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, 7 and 9:30 p.m. May 8, 2015.
Rick Nowlin: email@example.com or 412-263-3871.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.