Jason Bateman, director and star of the film "Bad Words."
Jason Bateman makes his feature directorial debut with a subversive comedy about a 40-year-old who finds a loophole in the rules of a national spelling bee and decides to cause trouble.
It's a subversive, dark R-rated comedy not to be confused with "Spellbound," although the documentary did help to inspire writer Andrew Dodge.
"Bad Words," which has a bit of the "Bad Santa" spirit but nowhere near as many f-words, will make you laugh and then hang your head in slight shame. And then laugh again.
Rated R for crude and sexual content, language and brief nudity.
ALSO THIS WEEK:
• “LeWeek-End”: This senior citizen answer to “Before Midnight” follows an aging married couple who make a weekend trip to Paris to look for the love and passion that brought them together 30 years ago. Stars Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan.
• “The Soul Man: The Complete First Season”: Cable series starring Cedric “The Entertainer” as a Las Vegas singer who moves back to St. Louis to preach at his father’s church.
• “Jodorowsky’s Dune”: A look at Alejandro Jodorowsky’s doomed attempt to film Frank Herbert’s “Dune.”
• “Prisoners of War: Season One”: Three Israeli soldiers held captive for 17 years try to rebuild their lives.
• “Wings: Sky Force Heroes”: Ace (Josh Duhamel) is a heroic pilot seeking redemption in this animated offering.
• “Walker, Texas Ranger: One Riot One Ranger”: Two-hour premiere episode that launched the Chuck Norris series.
• “Kid Cannabis”: Lives of losers are changed when they start trafficking marijuana.
• “The Class of ’92”: Documentary about six working-class boys who find soccer fame.
• “Hunting the Legend”: Three friends look for the truth behind a mythical beast.
• “Nymphomaniac: Volume I and Volume II”: Lars von Trier’s follow-up to “Melancholia” is the story of a self-diagnosed nymphomaniac.
• “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.5”: Newly edited and unrated version of “Bad Grandpa.”
• “Hidden Kingdoms”: A look at the unique and unexplored miniature world of the planet’s smaller heroes.
• “How It All Began”: Story of the birth of the Healing Tao System.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.