PEOPLE: Keke Palmer, Sherri Shepherd, James Corden and more!

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Keke Palmer will take over the title role in the current revival of “Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella” in New York, becoming what is believed to be the first black actress to play the role on Broadway, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The 20-year-old Palmer is scheduled to begin her run in the musical starting Sept. 9. Other actresses who have played Cinderella in the current revival at the Broadway Theatre include Laura Osnes and singer Carly Rae Jepsen.

Palmer’s first big screen role was as the title character in the 2006 movie “Akeelah and the Bee.” She has since appeared in a number of movies and TV shows, including her BET talk series “Just Keke.”

“Cinderella” opened on Broadway in early 2013 and features a revised book by playwright Douglas Carter Beane.

Also making theater history is actor Norm Lewis, who is the first black actor to play the title role of “The Phantom of the Opera” on Broadway. Lewis joined the cast of the long-running musical earlier this year.

While Palmer will be the first black actress to play Cinderella on Broadway, pop star Brandy played the same role in a televised version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical that aired in 1997 on ABC.

A wicked stepmother has been picked for “Cinderella” on Broadway — Sherri Shepherd, The Associated Press reports.

“The View” co-host said on the daytime talk show Tuesday that she will make her Broadway debut in the musical opposite Keke Palmer in the title role on Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre.

Shepherd will end seven years on “The View” this Friday.

She has been on “Dancing With the Stars” and also “30 Rock” as Tracy Morgan’s wife, Angie Jordan. Her film credits include “Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire,” ‘‘Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa” and “Guess Who.”

The traditional fairy tale has been given a sly and witty makeover by Douglas Carter Beane. The songs by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II include “In My Own Little Corner” and “Impossible/It’s Possible.”

James Corden just might be your new “Late Late Show” host. The “Into the Woods” actor will take over hosting duties from Craig Ferguson on the CBS late night series, according to The Wrap. The Hollywood Reporter also indicates Corden is in talks to take over the series, E! News reports.

Ferguson, who has been hosting the series since 2005, announced his exit in April, just days after it was announced that Stephen Colbert would take over “The Late Show” when David Letterman retires. At the time of his announcement, Ferguson stressed it wasn't a Conan O’Brien-Jay Leno or Letterman-Leno situation that previously transpired as late night shows changed hands.

“I’ll be stepping down at the end of this year in December,” Ferguson said. “Then I’ll go and do something else, probably. I’m thinking carpentry, but I haven’t made my mind up yet. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet, but I feel doing this show for 10 years, that's enough. … I have a good relationship with [CBS]. I’m still in business with them on other stuff, so please don’t picket them or go up to CBS with flaming torches, unless you’re angry at me, then, you know, get in line.”

Although the split between Michael Strahan and fiancee Nicole Murphy — just one day before his Hall of Fame induction — may have been a surprise to some, those close to the couple say the breakup was a long time coming.

Now, the two could already be moving on. Strahan, 42, and Murphy, 46, both may have begun dating other people, a source says.

“They’ve been having problems for two years and have been off and on throughout,” the source tells People. “Him dating someone would come as no surprise to Nicole.”

The couple met in 2007, following her 2006 divorce from ex-husband Eddie Murphy and his from second wife Jean Muggli that same year. They got engaged in 2009, but when it came to their wedding, their plans stalled out.

“It had been the longest engagement ever,” says a source close to Murphy, who appears on VH1’s “Hollywood Exes.”

“She would always get so defensive about it, saying, ‘We’re taking our time, we’re taking our time,’ and all of her girlfriends on the show would always push her,” the source says. “It had obviously become a point of contention [for her].”

When Strahan joined “Live! With Kelly and Michael” in 2012, they began spending more and more time apart, with him taping on the East Coast and Murphy remaining on the West Coast to shoot her show and care for her kids.

“Nicole wouldn’t move to New York full time, so she would spend three weeks in L.A. then one in New York,” the Murphy source says. “They never saw each other.”

With ever more distance between them, friends say, the breakup wasn’t out of the blue.

“This has been brewing,” another source says. “It wasn’t a shock to anybody around them.”

The Civil Wars is officially over.

The folk duo — made up of Joy Williams, 31, and John Paul White, 41 — announced their formal decision to split on Tuesday, People reports.

They had been on an indefinite hiatus since 2012, when they canceled a European fall tour, citing “internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition,” reports Rolling Stone. (Their second album, “The Civil Wars,” was released last summer and debuted at the top of the charts.)

“I am saddened and disappointed by the ending of this duo, to say the very least,” Williams said in a statement. “JP is a tremendous musician, and I will always be grateful for the music we were able to create together.”

She added: “Looking ahead, I’m excited to share the music that I am writing and recording in the midst of this difficult transition. I’ve loved being back in the studio and have missed performing live. I look forward to seeing you soon.”

For his part, White thanked the band’s fans.

“My deep appreciation goes out to all who supported, disseminated and enjoyed the music,” he said. “Whatever shape or form the next chapter takes, thanks for being a large part of this one.”

As a parting gift, the duo released a digital download version of “You Are My Sunshine,” which was recorded in 2010 and originally recorded as a B side to the band’s limited-edition “Barton Hollow” 7-inch vinyl. This is the first time the track has been made available digitally in the U.S.


Join the conversation:

Commenting policy | How to report abuse
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to socialmedia@post-gazette.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.
Commenting policy | How to report abuse

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here